Pitch IT! 2023 Winners and Cubs’ Lair Launch
October 23, 2023 – PETERBOROUGH, ON – The Innovation Cluster Peterborough and the Kawarthas is celebrating entrepreneurial spirit in a big way. Today, we’re announcing not just the winners of the Pitch IT! 2023 competition but also the launch of this year’s Cubs’ Lair Entrepreneurship Competition.
Pitch IT! 2023: Sparking Innovation Today
Claiming first place and a $1,000 prize is Maysie Roberts from Trent University for her app concept, Uniquely Blossom. This women’s health app would specialize in reproductive anomalies. It would not only offer the features of a standard women’s health app but also provide tailored guidance and doctor bookings.
Securing the runner-up position and a $500 prize is Adithya Bala from Fleming College for his venture, EcoBites. This innovative product line offers edible, flavoured straws and lids as eco-friendly alternatives to single-use plastics.
We’d also like to commend the other remarkable participants:
- Whitney Stoner-Paget from Fleming College: First Five Club, focusing on innovative early childhood development.
- Christina Bourgeois-Davis from Fleming College: Hand-In-Hand Childcare Solutions, aimed at streamlining childcare services.
- Aruja Kulkarni from Trent University: Atomation.AI, a platform for automating routine tasks.
- John Samuel Joseph Premanand from Trent University: FarmersCart, revolutionizing the way Toronto residents access farm-fresh produce through an online marketplace and pop-up stores.
The esteemed judges for Pitch IT! were:
- Catia Skinner, CEO of Mega Experience Inc., a leading marketing solutions provider.
- Barry Payne, Founder of Adirondack Technologies Furniture Inc., and inspiring Indigenous entrepreneur.
- Andrew Ko – Business Development Manager at Futurpreneur Canada, a vital partner of the Innovation Cluster.
We extend our heartfelt congratulations to all participants for their hard work and innovative spirit.
Cubs’ Lair 2023: Your Chance to Shine
Mark your calendars for Cubs’ Lair, happening Thursday, November 30th, from 6-8:30 pm at Erben Restaurant. This year, we’re broadening the scope to include not just students but also regional entrepreneurs from the Peterborough and Kawartha Lakes area.
- Must be in the region of Peterborough and Kawartha Lakes.
- Must have a passion for entrepreneurship.
- Must have an innovative business.
- Must have a business plan.
- Must be working in an active business (MVP preferred)
Top prizes include $3,000 for the first-place winner, $1,500 for the second, and $500 for the third, generously sponsored by Futurpreneur.
Nonnie Dube, this year’s facilitator, encourages everyone who meets these requirements to apply. She states, “This competition is a catalyst for untapped potential and passion. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to elevate your business idea, secure seed money, and gain pivotal mentorship.”
A Community That Cares
Special shoutouts to Erben Restaurant and Futurpreneur for their sponsorship. The support from our community plays a pivotal role in nurturing local talent.
Ready to take the next big step in your entrepreneurial journey?
Apply for Cubs’ Lair by filling out a simple form on our website.
Applications for Cubs’ Lair are open until November 3rd at 11:59 p.m.
The shortlist will be announced on November 7th. Don’t miss this golden opportunity!
The Innovation Cluster is eager to see what brilliant ideas come next from our community’s budding entrepreneurs. Apply today and make your mark!
About the Innovation Cluster
Innovation Cluster Peterborough and the Kawarthas (ICPK) is a non-profit organization that supports entrepreneurs to launch, grow and scale their businesses. They help entrepreneurs reach their business goals so that our local community, job market, and economy continue to grow.
The ICPK supports startup businesses by providing dynamic programming, mentorship, workshops, and networking opportunities to entrepreneurs through three core programs.
STARTUP INCUBATOR – a full-service Startup Incubator Program
STARTup Visa Program Canada – an Immigrant Entrepreneurship Program
Slingshot – Student Entrepreneurship Program
The Innovation Cluster operates across multiple locations, one of which includes LAUNCH Kawartha, a dedicated space for incubation programming situated in Lindsay, Kawartha Lakes. For additional information, please visit www.innovationcluster.ca.
Core Funding is provided by The City of Peterborough, Trent University, Fleming College, The City of Kawartha Lakes, OMAFRA, Feddev Ontario, and Franklin Empire.